Applicants for the programme should have a keen interest in developing their knowledge of management to include further specialism in business finance. The syllabus covers the core areas of management to an advanced level, including organisation theory, human resource management, e-business and IT applications and corporate strategy.
The specialist business finance modules equip students with technical knowledge integrated into the decision contexts of the strategic manager. Students should have studied an undergraduate degree with some finance and accounting content. See Entry Requirements for further information.
Please click on the underlined links to see further details on each module.
Term 1 Core modules (total 50 credits)
* Business Information Systems (10 credits) BIS
* Financial Management (10 credits) FM
* Management of Human Resources (10 credits) MHR
* Managerial Economics (10 credits) ME
* Strategic Management and Organisational Change (10 credits) SMOC
Term 2 Core and compulsory modules (total 30 credits)
* Financial Markets and Investment (10 credits) FMI
* Financial Strategy and Governance (10 credits) FSG
* Qualitative Research Methods (10 credits) QRM
* Option modules (to total 30 credits)
Any three of:
* Continuity and Change in Organisations (10 credits) CCO
* Comparative Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations (10 credits) CHRM&IR
* Comparative Public Management (10 credits) CPM
* Global Marketing (10 credits) GM
* Human Resource Development (10 credits) HRD
* Industrial Relations (10 credits) IR
* Innovation and Technology Management (10 credits) ITM
* Operations and Project Management (10 credits) OPM
* Philosophy and Process of Management Research (10 credits) PPMR
* Public Finance (10 credits) PF
* Public Sector Accounting (10 credits) PSA
* Social and environmental accounting (10 credits) SEA
* Strategic Human Resource Management (10 credits) SHRM
* Quantitative Methods and Data Analysis (10 credits) QMDA
* 12,000 word Dissertation (60 credits); preceded by a 1500-word dissertation proposal Dissertation
* Note: the University reserves the right to change the modules on offer.
Students are required to have a good undergraduate degree (2:1 or equivalent). For students whose first language is not English, we normally require evidence of English language ability. Specific requirements for each programme are listed below.
MSc Accounting and Financial Management – applicants should have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent) in any of the following
* Finance and /or Accounting
* Other degrees where there is a substantial Management and Finance/Accounting component (about half of modules) or a record of relevant work experience/professional qualifications
MSc in Health Management – applicants should have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent) in any subject. Please note that preference may be given to students with some prior study or experience of health management.
MA in Human Resource Management – applicants should have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent) in a social science subject. Previous tuition in management subjects is desirable but it is not essential to have studied for an undergraduate degree in Management, Business or HRM.
MA in Management – applicants should have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent) in any subject. Please note that preference may be given to students with some prior study of business management.
MSc in Management with Business Finance – applicants should have a good first degree (2:1 or equivalent) in any of the following
* Finance or Accounting. Ideally there should be some modules in other management subjects
* Management or Business Studies where there has been a substantial Finance, Accounting, and Economics component
* Economics, with some modules in Finance and Accounting
* Other degrees where there is a substantial Management, Finance/Accounting or Economics component (about half of the modules)
MSc in Corporate Social Responsibility with Environmental Management
MSc in International Business and Strategic Management
Please contact the postgraduate administrator if you would like clarification of your eligibility for any of the Masters programmes.
Typical offers for students from other countries
* China: offers range from 80 to 85 in the four year bachelor’s degree. Diplomas are not accepted.
* Greece: GPA of at least 7 in undergraduate degree
* India: First-class undergraduate degree
* Malaysia: GPA of at least 3 in undergraduate degree
* Pakistan: First-class undergraduate degree
English Language requirements
Applicants for whom English is not their first language should provide evidence of English language competence. Acceptable qualifications are:
* IELTS with overall score of 6.5 with not less than 6 in any component
* TOEFL: 587 in the paper-based test, 237 in the computer-based test, and 92 in the Internet-based test
* Cambridge Proficiency at Grade C or above
Online application for MSc in Management with Business Finance
Making a paper application
The York Management School
University of York, Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK
| Fax: fax01904 434163 | firstname.lastname@example.org
282 total views, 1 views today