- Type of employment: Limit of tenure, 1 year
- Extent: 100 %
- Location: Department of Earth and Ecosystem Sciences (Geology Unit), Lund
- First day of employment: 2011-07-01
- Official Records Number: NPA 2011/143
Phd scholarship in GeoBiosphere Sciences, Geology at Lund University, Sweden We have an opening for a Phd scholarship for a highly motivated person to join our research on a high-grade metamorphic section of the Sveconorwegian orogen. It is the Scandinavian equivalent to the Grenville orogen, and the result of collision tectonics at around 1 Ga ago during the assembly of supercontinent Rodinia. The project area in SW Sweden exposes a window into one of the deepest buried and most ductile parts of this mountain chain. The high-grade deformational and metamorphic processes are considered to be of major importance in the evolution and structural build-up of the orogen.
The PhD project focusses on Structural Geology and Metamorphic Petrology and is entitled “High pressure and temperature deformation and metamorphism in the eclogite – granulite region of SW Sweden.” Research involves characterization of the tectonostratigraphy and P-T-t-d evolution, linking of metamorphism and kinematics in deformation zones, and development of a structural model for the area, in particular for the distribution of eclogites.
The applicant must hold a university degree (MSc/BSc or equivalent) in Earth Sciences at the time of appointment. A strong background in petrology is expected. Fluent spoken and written English is required. The scholarship require ability to do fieldwork in a boreal landscape. Ability and willingness to travel to conferences, fieldtrips and workshops and analytical work (mainly Sweden and Canada) is essential; so is participation as a teaching assistant in the Geology Programme at Lund University.
Basis of Assessment
- A strong background in metamorphic petrology and petrography.
- Experience in structural mapping and structural analysis.
Documented experience in any of the following fields is an asset:
- Scientific writing and oral presentation
- Scanning electron microscopy SEM
- Microprobe analysis, EDS/WDS/SIMS
- Phase equilibria and P-T estimation
- Geochronology, in particular the U-Pb-system
- Field geology of high-grade gneiss terrains
Please give details in your CV.
Applications for this position should include:
- A one-page covering letter with statements about the applicant`s background and ambitions in relation to the project
- CV with general personal information, details of previous studies and work
- A pdf-file (or link for download) of any relevant publication, MSc- and/or BSc-thesis
- Names and addresses of at least two reference persons.
Visit Official Website.
Application Deadline : April, 29th 2011
348 total views, 1 views today