The Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences (including history and law) with a command of the language, history, or culture of non-Western countries or regions. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
* The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and originality. They work in non-Western cultures or regions shows promise as a foundation for exceptional careers in major universities or international institutions.
* Harvard Academy Scholarships are open only to recent Ph.D. (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and doctoral candidates. Those still pursuing a Ph.D. should have completed their routine training and be well along in the writing of their theses before applying to become Academy Scholars; those in possession of a Ph.D. longer than 3 years at the time of application are ineligible.
Academy Scholars are appointed for 2 years by the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies and are provided time, guidance, and access to Harvard facilities. They receive substantial financial and research assistance to undertake sustained projects of research and/or acquire accessory training in their chosen fields and areas. Some teaching is permitted but not required. The Senior Scholars, a distinguished group of senior Harvard faculty members, act as mentors to the Academy Scholars to help them achieve their intellectual potential.
How to Apply
Applications for the next class of Academy Scholars are due October 1 each year. There is no application form. The following materials are required for a complete application:
* a current curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (include 3 copies)
* a statement of the applicant’s proposed research, including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work—no more than 10 pages double-spaced (include 3 copies)
* an official copy of each graduate transcript
* three letters of recommendation
* a cover letter which succinctly states the applicant’s academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed or actual research topic (include 3 copies)
Please do not staple materials. Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
* Pre-doctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $28,000.
* Post-doctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $48,000.
* Aplication: October 1, 2010
* Finalist interview: December 6, 2010 in Cambridge
* Notification of Scholarships: January 2011
Application materials should be mailed to:
The Academy Scholars Program
Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies
Weatherhead Center for International Affairs
1727 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
For more information contact:
* Kathleen Hoover, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Laurence H. Winnie, Executive Officer: email@example.com
331 total views, 1 views today